Monday, December 2, 2013

Jesus


 
To kick things off I felt it would be a good idea to start with a man who one can make a high argument for being the most influential person through all history. His name is Jesus. He lived through the time of the Roman Empire and is believed to be born between year 0 and 5 BC.

He's known as the Christ to Christians. Derived from the Greek word 'Christos' which is the equivalent to Moshiach (Hebrew), or Messiah (English). It is a title meaning the anointed one reserved for a descendent of Israel's King David prophesied of in Judaic texts, or for Christians The Old Testament.

I like this picture I chose of him because I feel it gives a fairer depiction of what he probably looked like. Given he spent most of his time outdoors and was a carpenter, it is probable he had somewhat of a tan and a build; contrary to common depictions of him appearing as a pale white and weak figure.

There is a great deal that can be said about Jesus, but I'd rather try and keep this short. I think what interests me most is how he made such a large influence on the future in such a short time span and without actually writing anything. From the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John the conclusion has been made that his ministry lasted 3 1/2 years, starting when he was 30 and ending when he was 33.

No comments:

Post a Comment